Independent telecoms/mobile consultant Alan Hadden provides a market reality check on the status of operator activities in 5G, reporting today on global deployments and commercial launches of 5G NR networks.
According to Hadden’s latest research, a total of 58 network operators have now commercially launched 5G services, in 32 countries. A total of 336 network operators are investing in 5G in 118 countries, pursuing activities ranging from studies, technology trials, pilot networks, commercial network deployments and – as indicated above, commercial service launches.
Hadden’s research confirms:
* The number of commercially launched networks globally increased 75% since June 2019.
* The number of operators worldwide that are investing in 5G-related activities increased 25% during the same period.
* The choice of spectrum used in 5G network deployments has also been examined:
— Over 50 operators (approaching 90%) use sub-6GHz bands for commercial 5G services currently, mostly in the 3.4-3.8 GHz range.
* 4 operators use mmWave bands.
Note: Some operators use more than one band for 5G service. Confirmation of bands in commercial use is awaited from 3 operators.
According to this research published on 19 November 2019, a total of 58 network operators have commercially launched 5G services in 32 countries.
Here are the countries where 5G is now commercially available (coverage areas vary significantly): Australia, Austria, Bahrain, China, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Guam, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Kuwait, Latvia, Lesotho, Libya, Maldives, Monaco, New Zealand, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Philippines, UAE, UK, Uruguay, and USA.
5G market reality check – spectrum
3.5 GHz band dominates operators’ choice of spectrum for today’s 5G commercial networks
Independent telecoms/mobile consultant Alan Hadden provides an update on 5G network deployments, in particular the spectrum in commercial use on today’s 5G networks.
From Hadden’s research of 5G network deployments worldwide to 19 November 2019, which confirmed that 58 operators have commercially launched 5G service in 32 countries, this new analysis reports on the frequency bands currently in use today by the operators of those commercial 5G networks.
According to Hadden’s research the spectrum landscape is as follows:
* Sub 6 GHz spectrum is used by 52 operators i.e., 90% of all 5G operators now in commercial service
* 48 operators i.e., 82% of all 5G operators in service, use spectrum within the range 3.4 – 3.8 GHz (often referred to as 3.5 GHz)
* 92% of the 52 operators who are operating with sub 6 GHz spectrum use 3.5 GHz
* mmWave frequencies are currently used by 4 operators
Note 1: some operators use more than one band for 5G service
Note 2: confirmation of bands in commercial use is awaited from 2 operators.