Bharti Airtel has launched its voice over Wi-Fi service – ‘Airtel Wi-Fi Calling’, which is designed to enhance voice calling experience for Airtel smartphone customers, especially when they are indoors.
With ‘Airtel Wi-Fi Calling’, customers with Wi-Fi at home or office are expected to get a better signal quality indoors. And Airtel assures that there will be no extra charge for calls made over ‘Airtel Wi-Fi Calling’ and the application consumes minimal data. The service is currently available to Airtel customers in Delhi NCR and will be gradually rolled out across India.
Commenting about this launch, Randeep Sekhon, Chief Technology Officer, Bharti Airtel, said, “As a customer-obsessed brand, we are constantly working on improving customer experience based on their feedback. Seamless indoor coverage has been a key ask from mobile customers but getting permissions for site installations has always been a big challenge for mobile operators, particularly in top metros. ‘Airtel Wi-Fi Calling’ is another pioneering technology intervention from Airtel and will go a long way in making the voice calling experience more seamless.”
Airtel says that its Wi-Fi Calling does not require any app and can be configured on the smartphone by following the steps mentioned below:
- Check smartphone compatibility on airtel.in/wifi-calling,
- Upgrade device operating software to the latest version that supports Wi-Fi Calling, and this update is provided by handset manufacturer. User needs to check with the handset brand if this upgrade cannot be found.
- Go to Settings on the mobile phone and Switch On Wi-Fi Calling
- Keep VoLTE switched on as well for a seamless experience
Currently, the following smartphones support ‘Airtel Wi-Fi Calling’
- Apple: All iPhone series starting 6s and above
- Xiaomi: Redmi K20, Redmi K20 Pro & POCO F1
- Samsung: J6, A10s, On6, M30s
- OnePlus: All models of OnePlus 7 Series
Airtel is working with all leading smartphone brands to roll out compatibility with ‘Airtel Wi-Fi Calling’. The service is currently compatible with Airtel Xstream Fiber home broadband and will soon be compatible with all broadband services and Wi-Fi hotspots.