NEW DELHI: Vodafone India said that has acquired spectrum in all its key telecom circles in the spectrum auction for a total cost of 20,280 crore (€2.74 billion).
The new spectrum significantly enhances the coverage, capacity and speed of Vodafone India’s 4G data services in its key circles, complementing existing high-quality 2G and 3G voice and data capabilities.
“Vodafone India successfully acquired a total of 2 x 82.6 MHz FDD and 200 MHz TDD spectrum in the auction, providing high-capacity, multi-band 4G capability operating across the 1800, 2100 and 2500 MHz bands,” the company said in s statement.
Vodafone India has 17 circles with 4G capability, covering 90% of the company’s total revenues and 94% of mobile data revenues.
Sunil Sood, Managing Director & CEO, Vodafone India said, “We are happy with the outcome of our spectrum purchases in the auction. This enables us to provide our customers Broadband services across India with multi-band high capacity capability in our strong circles”
“Vodafone’s investment totals Rs 202.8 billion (€2.74 billion) of which INR 101.4 billion (€1.36 billion) is payable up-front. The spectrum acquired has a 20-year term,” it said.
Vodafone India has the largest voice and data traffic usage within the Vodafone Group and has more than 200 million customers. At 30 June 2016, Vodafone India had 69.7 million data users, of which 32.3 million use 3G/4G.
In March 2015, Vodafone India acquired 78.4 MHz of spectrum in 12 telecom circles with a 20 year term, comprising:
· 42.8 MHz in the 900 MHz band in Gujarat, Haryana, Kerala, Maharashtra, Orissa, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh (East) and West Bengal;
· 5.6 MHz in the 1800MHz band in Gujarat, Kerala and Uttar Pradesh (East); and
· 30.0 MHz in the 2100MHz band in Assam, Karnataka, Kerala, North East, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh (West).
In February 2014, Vodafone India also acquired spectrum in 11 telecom circles with a 20 year term comprising:
· 23 MHz in the 900 MHz band in Mumbai, Delhi and Kolkata; and
· 49 MHz in the 1800 MHz band in Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, Karnataka, Kerala, Gujarat, UP East, Rajasthan, Haryana, Andhra Pradesh and Punjab.